Designing a More Equitable and Effective Advisory System
If the last year has taught us anything, it’s that strong relationships between students and school staff members are critically important. Advisory systems are one important way that schools and districts ensure every student has a strong and supportive relationship with at least one staff member.
During this three-day virtual institute, participants will learn how advisory systems can improve outcomes for all students. Participants will also examine effective middle and high school advisory structures in order to build or refine their school’s or district’s own advisory system. This session has been designed for school or district-based teams, as a portion of our time will be spent building a vision for an advisory system and action planning toward making that vision a reality in the 2022-2023 school year.
- Reflect on the current status and quality of your advisory program
- Create (or refine) a vision for a successful advisory program at your school or district
- Create an action plan in order to bring your advisory design from ideas to reality
- Experience activities that you can implement as part of your advisory program and for professional development purposes
Draft institute schedule
Here is the schedule and what you need to know about the activities we will engage in and experience together.
Day 1: Why Advisory Vision+Equity Imperative+Outcomes
- On day one we will focus on the why behind advisory by developing a vision connected to equity and defined outcomes. Participants will have the opportunity to build a shared understanding of what advisory is and can be and think critically about what are some potential challenges to build buy-in.
Day 2: How Do We Create a Strong Advisory System?
- During day two, participants will use the Advisory design guide to strategically plan how advisory will look in their schools. Participants will have the opportunity to share problems of practice and consider implementation.
Day 3: What’s Next? Action-Planning
- During day three, participants will use an Action-Planning template to consider the nuts and bolts questions that go along with implementing the vision for advisory.
Teams of educators from middle schools or high schools who are interested in improving and redesigning their advisory systems.
Dan Liebert, Senior Associate
Gabriela Stiteler, Senior Associate
Dates: Tuesday-Thursday, July 12-14, 2022
Time: 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM EST
Where: Virtual, via zoom
Registration closes Wednesday, June 29, 2022.