Just in Time Session #4—School in the Spotlight: Blackstone Academy Students at the Center of Equity Focused Learning Experiences
At the Great Schools Partnership, we understand how rapidly circumstances change in classrooms, schools, and communities across the U.S. That’s why our network makes space for educators to meet, discuss, and share promising practices on the urgent topics you care about.
Our next just-in-time session will give participants an insider’s view into student-centered and equity-focused learning experiences at Blackstone Academy Charter School (BACS), an innovative high school in Pawtucket, RI focused on social justice and community-based learning. Participants will hear from BACS students and teachers and will get ideas for implementation in their own context.
In this 75-minute session, we will:
- Hear from teachers and students about the student-centered, equity-focused learning opportunities they are participating in. You will hear about opportunities including the Young Voices Community Improvement Project which empowers youth to research social issues they care about and identify creative solutions in a youth-led classroom.
- Provide an overview of the structures that allow for learning experiences that elevate student voices and empower students to take action.
- Engage in small group conversations and discuss how you might build more student-centered, equity-focused learning experiences in your own school community.
- Welcome and Introductions
- School in the spotlight: Blackstone Academy
- Students and teachers share about Community Improvement Projects and Afterschool Programs
- Breakout Group Discussions
Registration is now closed.
To receive future event notifications as well as The GSP Monthly, please sign up here.